Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Spontaneous Splurge :)

So school has officially begun! I have mixed feelings about that...on one had I'm excited to be doing something productive with my life again. You can only go to the beach and Disneyland so many times before you just need more :) however, on the other hand I'm not ready to be that productive! 
So I started my masters classes and found out my supervisor is super cool and didn't make me go in on Friday like I was supposed to. I was planning on checking out Big Bear (by myself because no one would go with me!). When I got my good new from my supervisor, I was talking to a friend from SLC and she told me to fly out there...so I did :)
I know a lot of you are thinking...how come she didn't call me?!!??! Well because I booked my ticket Thursday night, flew out Friday day and flew back to So Cal Saturday night! It was a super short trip but it honestly couldn't have been better!
I LOVE SKIING!!!!!!
I was able to squeeze in a couple good runs Friday before they closed and a little after hours (the hook ups you still get from working on the tram!) It didn't hurt that Snowbird got 8 inches of fresh powder that day!
Saturday was great also because I got some pre-public runs and freshies for the first 2+ hrs! Oh and did I mention I got frost bite on my nose! Yea I was scared my kinder kids would be scared of me! Anyway, I was able to ski with a variety of people on Sat and loved every second :)
Here is me with one of the regulars, Brett, from back in the day! We're both going to school out of state but no worries we both have season passes to the Bird! Brett is super good but was nice enough to not only wait for me but cheer me on for a couple runs...or maybe that was just him yelling at me to hurry up ;) He used to be a ski instructor and has flawless style!


Not only does he have flawless style but he encourages people like me to go for "big" air! We met up with some of his friends and had fun messing around on Wilbur. After a couple runs we looked around and it was just myself, Brett and his friend Tim. Tim is a pretty good boarder also but I can't so no to cute boys so they made me attempt to catch some air. Brett wanted to capture this moment on my camera...I think he just wanted me to be able to look back and laugh at what a beater I am! You can see Tim going first (I made him!) then you see my landing (you just know it's not going to end well!) and below you have me covered in white! It's a good thing I landed in powder! I've seriously never had such funny falls this trip! Tim had a snowball prepared to throw at me but decided it wouldn't do any good after my landing. Geez they're such gentlemen :)
I started skiing at 8 in the morning and was able to squeeze in 22 runs before I had to take off for the airport! (I couldn't walk for 3 days!) I finished up my day with my good old friend, Mikey! 
I think we all know how much I love Utah! School is intense but what gets me going through these next couple weeks will be the thought of President's Day weekend! Hopefully we get some good powder!
*side note* Anyone want to buy any ski/board gear...I'm selling! Pass the word! It's cheap and all in really good condition!

3 comments:

Cotter said...

all we can tell from that picture is that his teeth are straight... good start!

quinn and kristi said...

Hey I thought you were done for a bit so imagine my thrill when I checked your blog and here you are updating! yeah! I love all the pics. It makes me feel like your not so far away!

Audy & Ash said...

Nothing like a powder day at the bird!!!!!