Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Waimea Canyon

Apparently I have lost my CA skin and was so smart that I got sun burned my first day in Kauai! It turned out to be a blessing in disguise though because I saw some beautiful sights that I wouldn't typically see!

Here I am with my mom and Kate on our drive up to Waimea Canyon, which they call the 'Grand Canyon' of Hawaii:



My parents told me about this particular hike and how it was 'super intense' and how they did it completely unprepared and kept talking it up and then a friend from Snowbird (my parents' age) was telling me how he loves to do it but it's rather difficult. I couldn't let all these "old" people tell me about this hike and then not try it myself so I managed to talk Kate into a 9.4mile hike that climbs about 1800 vertical ft. Did I mention we didn't have backpacks??? It was a fun day!!! Here we are at the start of a beautiful day!



One of the cool things about this hike it how diverse the scenery was...



to...



We even saw a mountain goat during out 6hr hike! Yes the terrain was that difficult that we were one with the mountain goats! It was actually a scary experience though because before the rents dropped us off my dad was warning us about wild boars and when I first saw the mountain goat, all I saw was this black thing running towards me! No worries, I threw Kate in front of me :) She did the trick and scared him off, he was harmless!



This hike took all day so I have 1,001 pictures but I'll leave you with our make-shift backpacks :)

No comments: